Atlanta tax attorney Cal Bomar is a former IRS Office of Chief Counsel lawyer who has extensive experience in tax litigation, audits, obtaining IRS tax relief through offer in compromise, installment agreements and penalty abatement, obtaining relief from liens and levy and representing clients in all other tax matters. He represents clients in Georgia and throughout the nation in tax, estate planning and asset protection cases.
After obtaining his LL.M. in Tax Law from New York University, Cal Bomar worked in Washington, D.C. for the IRS Office of Chief Counsel. Upon leaving Chief Counsel, he also worked as a tax attorney at a large law firm for five years.
He created his own tax law firm in Atlanta, Georgia in 2007. In doing so, he has put together a team of tax attorneys, CPAs and staff, many of whom are also former IRS, and who all focus on working toward achieving the best possible result for every client. Our firm maintains an extremely high focus on maintaining reasonable rates and being responsive and accessible to all of our clients.
IRS and Georgia Tax Cases
- Audit Defense: Our firm is frequently able to eliminate proposed tax assessments during the audit, minimizing cost and stress for you.
- Administrative Appeals: If you are wrongly assessed tax, denied relief or subjected to collection activity, we can often resolve it favorably in the IRS administrative appeals process, without the need to move forward to litigation.
- Tax Litigation: We have the knowledge and experience to guide you through the tax litigation process with confidence.
- Offer in Compromise: We offer a complete analysis of whether you qualify for this program, in which you offer the IRS an amount that is less than what you owe. In some cases, this can save a client hundreds of thousands of dollars. In other cases, it will not be the best approach to resolve the liability.
- Currently Not Collectible Status: Lawyers at our firm frequently obtain this status for clients. The IRS will not seek to collect the tax while the status is in effect, and will never do so if the period of limitations on collection expires while the status is in effect.
- Penalty Abatement: We can help you obtain removal of penalties that are assessed against you.
- Levy / Garnishment: Our firm has extensive experience stopping levy of bank accounts, wages and other property.
- Innocent Spouse Relief: When the IRS comes after you in a situation where it is unfair to hold you responsible for the tax debts of your spouse or former spouse, we will help you obtain innocent spouse relief.
- Georgia State Tax Cases: A Georgia tax lawyer at our firm can assist you with any GA Department of Revenue tax matter that arises.
Estate Planning | Probate
The Atlanta estate planning attorneys at our law firm can provide advanced estate planning techniques to protect you and your family. Our estate planners are also experienced tax attorneys who will work to eliminate or minimize any estate tax due.
Our Georgia probate lawyers will work for a successful conclusion to your will contest or will dispute, litigation over undue influence, duress, incapacity and fraud, petition for a guardian or conservator or filing an objection to someone being named executor or administrator of an estate. The Atlanta probate attorneys at our firm handle estate litigation and will contest trials in the probate courts throughout northern Georgia.
In addition to tax law, estate planning and probate, We also provide focused solutions in cases involving:
Our Atlanta asset protection attorneys provide guidance to clients on how to shield their assets from future creditors, while also arranging for those assets to pass to heirs.
The firm also represents many nonprofit organizations regarding formation, obtaining nonprofit status, compliance, employment issues, contracts and litigation.
We have tax clients throughout the United States and worldwide. We also serve many local clients throughout Georgia, including Atlanta, Sandy Springs, Marietta, Roswell, Decatur, Buckhead, Lawrenceville, Smyrna, Kennesaw, Athens, Rome, Columbus, Macon and all communities of Fulton County, Cobb County, Dekalb County and Gwinnett County. We have offices in Atlanta, Georgia and Birmingham, Alabama. Many of our clients are referrals from other law firms and accounting firms.
We are committed to efficient, cost-effective solutions and providing attentive, personalized service in every case that we handle. Contact us to schedule a free initial consultation with an Atlanta tax attorney.