Guiding You Through The Legal Process
View Our Practice Areas

Abuse victims may seek relief from the IRS

Georgia residents who are the victims of financial abuse at the hands of their partners may be given relief by the IRS. For instance, an individual might apply for innocent spouse relief. If granted, that person will not be held liable for taxes owed on a joint return. This may be true if there was a balance because the other spouse deliberately withheld income.

If one spouse has a past due federal balance, the other spouse may be denied a refund that he or she would otherwise be entitled to. In such a scenario, the person who was expecting a refund could be considered an injured spouse. That person may be allowed to get a refund in their name. It is also important to note that a married person is still allowed to file an independent return, and an individual is not required to sign a joint tax return against his or her will.

Each year, American workers are generally required to file an income tax return. Failing to do so or providing false information on a return can result in negative consequences. These may include financial penalties or the possibility of spending time in jail or prison. Individuals who have been contacted by the IRS generally have the right to seek legal counsel.

Whether a person is filing single or jointly with another person, a tax lawyer could provide valuable guidance. For example, an attorney could negotiate with the IRS on a taxpayer's behalf or otherwise put a taxpayer's situation into context. The client could then obtain relief from any taxes assessed.

No Comments

Leave a comment
Comment Information

Contact Us Today

Bold labels are required.

Contact Information

The use of the Internet or this form for communication with the firm or any individual member of the firm does not establish an attorney-client relationship. Confidential or time-sensitive information should not be sent through this form.


Privacy Policy


100 Galleria Parkway SE
Suite #480
Atlanta, Georgia 30339

Toll Free: 800-765-2779
Phone: 404-841-6561
Map & Directions

600 University Park Place
Suite 100
Birmingham, AL 35209

Phone: 205-401-1229
Map & Directions