Guiding You Through The Legal Process
View Our Practice Areas

Making gifts to others for their IRAs

In some cases, Georgia residents may want to give loved ones money for their IRAs. They may be concerned that doing so will be a taxable event, however. As long as the amount that is given is under the annual federal gift tax exclusion amount, people do not need to worry about that issue.

The annual IRA contribution limit for people who are under the age of 50 is $5,500. The annual gift tax exclusion amount is $14,000 per year. This means that it is fine to gift up to $14,000 to a loved one without worrying about having to pay more taxes. People may fully fund their loved ones' IRA annual contribution limits without needing to report that they did to the IRS.

If a person gives more than $14,000 to another person in a year, then the giver will need to report doing so by using Form 709. If a married couple wishes to gift money to another person, they can jointly contribute $28,000. If the recipient is married, then a married couple can give the married couple recipients up to $56,000 in a year without triggering any additional taxes.

People who have questions about gifts they would like to give or gifts that they have been given might want to talk to a tax law attorney. An attorney might advise the client about how to minimize any potential taxes that the person might otherwise be required to pay. Counsel may also help the client with complying with the applicable IRS rules and regulations applicable to these types of transactions.

No Comments

Leave a comment
Comment Information

Contact Us Today

Bold labels are required.

Contact Information

The use of the Internet or this form for communication with the firm or any individual member of the firm does not establish an attorney-client relationship. Confidential or time-sensitive information should not be sent through this form.


Privacy Policy


100 Galleria Parkway SE
Suite #480
Atlanta, Georgia 30339

Toll Free: 800-765-2779
Phone: 404-841-6561
Map & Directions

600 University Park Place
Suite 100
Birmingham, AL 35209

Phone: 205-401-1229
Map & Directions